- Make sure that the scale is placed on a flat, hard, even surface (not on carpet).
- Remove bulky items of clothing.
- Make sure your child is standing still in the middle of the scale.
- Record the child’s weight to the nearest 0.1 kg (e.g. 12.5kg).
- Before measuring height remove hats, hair ornaments/ high ponytails/pigtails that may add to your child’s height.
- Help your child to stand with feet together with heels back against a wall.
- Tell him/her to stand straight and look straight ahead (like a solider or ballerina) with their arms down.
- Check that the back of the head, shoulder blades, buttocks, calves, and heels all touch the wall.
- Use a flat object such as a book to rest on your child’s head and record a straight line on the wall.
- Measure the height from the floor to the mark with a measuring tape.
- Record the child’s height to the nearest 0.1 cm (e.g. 85.6cm).